Fall is upon us and with it all of the beautiful weather of the changing season. Denver is alive with color and refreshingly cool temperatures. Winter isn’t far away, so now is the perfect time to prep your home.
We are so excited to share our top 10 ways to prep your home for fall:
- Clean out your gutters. Your roof drainage system diverts thousands of gallons of water every year. It’s imperative to keep the system flowing smoothly. After the leaves have fallen, the gutters and downspouts need to be cleaned and flushed with water. Inspect the joints and tighten any brackets. Replace any damaged gutters, and make sure you install leaf guards to make this easier next year. This is the perfect opportunity to inspect the roof for damaged shingles, flashing, or vents.
- Shut off outside faucets. Close off all shut-off valves for outside lines and then turn on the faucet to drain the line. Roll up your water hoses and put them away for the season.
- Freshen your filters. If you have a metal or electrostatic filter, remove it and wash with a firm water spray. Use the soft brush attachment of your vacuum your other types.
- Sidewalks and Driveways. It’s time to inspect sidewalks and driveways for cracks. Water and ice damage can create unattractive, and in some cases, irreparable damage, so make sure you seal cracks as soon as possible.
- Install a Mudroom Bench with Storage. A mudroom bench is the perfect way to transition from the outside to the inside. It’s a stylish solution that can also make any entryway inviting.
- Schedule a Fall Furnace Inspection. Have your furnace inspected as soon as possible to ensure safety and maximum indoor comfort. Consider buying a winter’s supply of furnace filters and replace them monthly to save on energy costs.
- Prepare for the Holidays. The holidays can be a stressful time, but it doesn’t have to be. Prepare your kitchen by organizing your cabinets. Discard expired items and pay particular attention to the baking supplies, pans, and equipment you expect to use this holiday season. In addition, focus on cleaning the public rooms. Change out the bed linens for the guest rooms and refresh the guest bath.
- Have your Chimneys and Flues Inspected and Cleaned (if necessary). Before snowfall makes this impossible, have your chimneys and flues inspected by a professional. There is no cozier setting than relaxing by a warm fire.
- Check for Drafts. The changing seasons and unique weather within our amazing city can put significant wear on caulk around windows and doors. Now is the perfect time to check for drafts.
- Refresh your Design to Reflect the Changing Season. Welcome fall into your home by updating your design to reflect this beautiful time of year. Refresh your window treatments and throw pillows. Create a splash of color in a corner that seems isolated and lonely. Whether you swap out your bed linen designs by the season or have traditional favorites that you adore, make sure you thoroughly clean all pillows, sheets, comforters, and quilts. Make sure to follow manufacturer’s requirements to extend the life of your favorite linens.
In addition, make sure you get out and enjoy this incredible city. There are so many wonderful events and exciting opportunities for those living the good life in Denver. Every season can be a new adventure 🙂